Friday 9 May 2014

In Praise of Ukip Poster Vandals

“As I strolled along Heath Mill Lane towards Eastside Projects, I was confronted with a billboard that offended me in so many ways … that billboard in Heath Mill Lane that was very cynically trying to pander to us at our most vulnerable and negative and not to our better selves … This billboard not only offended me morally and aesthetically it also went against everything that I feel political discourse should be about.

“Thus there was nothing for it, after my train pulled into Moor Street, I picked up my last remaining tins of Drummond’s International Grey and got to work.”

– Bill Drummond, writing in The Birmingham Post

Before

After
Nor is Drummond alone. As Glaswegian rapper tom dissonance recently posted on Twitter, Ukip are “certainly showing that grassroots art vandalism is alive and well in this country.”

A dedicated Tumblr blog, Destroyed Ukip Billboards, has even sprung up to exhibit the best examples.

I have a soft spot for this Stezaker-esque collage, which seems to transform Farage’s party’s simple-minded far-right populism into an obscure metaphysical enquiry…



Keep up the good work.